How to embed a hyperlink in your WordPress webpage or blogpost? updated for Block (Gutenberg) Editor 2019
Latest posts by Donncha Hughes (see all)
- Working with Images on your Website – Part II - May 7, 2020
- Working with Images for your Website - April 14, 2020
- How to get an email address to match your website URL? - March 31, 2020
Links are extremely important for Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) – Google and the major search engines attach great significance to pages which are being ‘talked’ about on Social Media and also being linked to by other sites. It also values websites which contain links to other sites thereby providing the reader with additional (optional) sources of information. This blog post will provide instructions on how to create an embedded link on pages or posts within your website using the new WordPress Block Editor. A hyperlink is a link to another site while an embedded link is where the text containing the link explains why the link is being created. This post will guide you on how to embed a link as this is Google’s preferred format on the basis that it is of benefit to the reader also.
General Instructions for Embedding a Link
It does not necessarily have to be a homepage. I often suggest that businesses link to an Association of which they are a member – you might also want to link to Suppliers or Retailers who stock your product. In this case, I want to create a link to my other website which details my services for startups – if you hover over the link your web browser will tell you that it goes to my contact us page and if you click on the link it will bring you to that page on my other website.
5. Click on the LINK ICON in the Visual Editor
BLOCK EDITOR UPDATE
VI. Click on the Link icon in the TOOLBAR and a pop-up box will appear
…. You can just paste the link into the pop-up but I suggest that you
VII. Click on the Link Settings icon (3 Vertical Dots) within that pop up to get a slightly expanded pop up screen
VIII. Paste in the link or start typing page keywords to search for internal links.
… And make sure to click on NEW Tab checkbox item. Then click the Apply button that looks like an Enter symbol (clicking Enter or Return key does not work for some reason)
- Many people developing a new website for the first time may think that it is counter productive to create hyperlinks as you would only be driving or passing on your readers to other sites, so it is important to understand the big picture, which is that we all need the internet to work. Demonstrating that we are prepared to help our visitors to find the information that they need, by including Internal and Anchor Links or indeed links to external websites is the best way of holding on to them and getting them to come back to us.
- When looking for backlinks from other sites, it is important that they are created as Embedded Links. The ideal format is as part of a blog post relating to your website.
Check out upcoming Training Dates delivered by Donncha Hughes for LEO Galway – SEO and Creating a Business Website using WordPress – book direct via LEO Galway.